Tuesday, December 14, 2010

And in the beginning...

With today’s hectic lifestyles, coming home to the aroma of a home cooked meal is all but history in today’s society. Thankfully I grew up in a family where the love of cooking was handed down through the generations.

In 1997, two close friends introduced me to vegetarianism and animal rights. Learning about factory farming and the suffering of animals changed my life forever. Months later I rid myself of all animal products and I fully committed to a vegan lifestyle. We all know at a certain time it was difficult to create exciting vegetarian or vegan meals. Through trial and error, and with the help of many hungry friends, I found creative ways to prepare the home cooked meals I grew up with and modify them to meet a vegan diet.

In 2008, I packed up my life in New Jersey and headed out to the Pacific Northwest. With its strong sense of community, endless supply of eating options, cycling, and outdoor adventures Portland was the right fit for me. I’ve made the decision to lay down roots here and start my own business sharing something I’m really passionate about… good food!

My cooking style is inspired by the meals I enjoyed growing up, so I have to thank my dad for his early influence. By doing this project I feel I am fulfilling a dream for both of us. That is, to offer people a hearty, home cooked meal making them feel like they are a part of a large family. As the season allows, my produce will be sourced locally. Sustainability, environmental responsibility, and supporting our local farmers and businesses are important to me. I look forward to strengthening bonds with my newfound community here in Portland. If you have any special requests please let me know and I will try to accommodate you the best I can. Who knows: maybe I will change a few minds along the way.

Thanks.
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment